If you are experiencing an emergency, please call 911.
Pioneers Medical Center’s Emergency Department is a Level IV Trauma Center that is the primary resource for emergency care for local families, businesses and tourists. For more than 60 years, people have counted on Pioneers Medical Center for skilled and compassionate care in treating serious injuries or illness. We have a team of highly trained doctors, registered nurses, and respiratory therapists ready to treat everything from a heart attack to a broken bone.
Collaboration with leading specialists across the state allows the team at Pioneers to provide an invaluable range of services locally.
- Stroke care: Time is critical during a stroke, and appropriate treatment often determines a patient’s survival and quality of life.
- Traumatic injuries and life-threatening situations: Immediate, quality medical intervention is critical in these situations. We seamlessly orchestrate helicopter or fixed-wing transportation—which can handle multiple critical patients—to make sure patients are stabilized, directed to the most appropriate trauma center and that the necessary medical information is documented and shared for continuity of care.
What does it mean to be a Level IV Trauma Center?
As a Level IV Trauma Center, PMC has demonstrated an ability to provide advanced trauma life support (ATLS) prior to transfer of patients to a higher level trauma center. It provides evaluation, stabilization, and diagnostic capabilities for injured patients.
Elements of Level IV Trauma Centers:
- Basic emergency department facilities to implement ATLS protocols and 24-hour laboratory coverage. Available trauma nurse(s) and physicians available upon patient arrival.
- Surgical and critical-care services provided if necessary.
- Transfer agreements with Level I or Level II Trauma Centers for patients requiring more comprehensive care.
- Comprehensive quality assessment program
- Involved with prevention efforts with an active outreach program for our referring communities.